Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My 2 yr old cat has watery eyes and darker pink blotches on

Customer Question

Customer: my 2 yr old cat has watery eyes and darker pink blotches on the ears. The cat is 100% white, the runt of the litter, and is/was small and very timid. The cat has been diagnosed without test of cat herpes. I feed her and her brother 1000mg of L-lysine power on their dry food daily. No problem with their uptake of the L-lysine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The little female has an itchy scalp and attempts to receive scratching on the top of the head, with each interaction with me.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I will attend to another window tab and check back.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with your 2 year old. The feline herpesvirus (FHV-1) is, indeed, most often incriminated when a persistent conjunctivitis causes the epiphora (watery eyes) you've witnessed. Please note that the use of l-lysine should now be circumspect in these cats. In two large studies of confirmed FHV-1 + shelter cats, it was found that those administered l-lysine had increased morbidity (severity of signs) than those receiving placebo. I no long recommend l-lysine's use. Instead, an antiviral ophthalmic drop containing cidofovir (or one of the newer antiviral drugs) +/- the systemic antiviral drug famciclovir should be considered.

Ideall, her vet can test your cat for the common infectious agents that cause such a conjunctivitis - FHV-1, Mycoplasma, and Chlamydophila, mainly - and then treat specifically for those agents. Mycoplasma and Chlamydophila should respond to a topical ophthalmic ointment containing oxytetracycline (Terramycin, e.g.) +/- systemic doxycycline.

The "darker pink blotches on the ears" is unclear to me. Can you upload a photo of her ears to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing.