petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat has severe stomach fluid, we took m to the vest and

Customer Question

My cat has severe stomach fluid, we took him to the vest and they said he won't last long, we took him home and have been giving him furosemide as per the vets suggestion, as we really do not want to put him down as he was not in any pain just uncomfortable. His condition has not improved in the past 24 hours, what else can we do? Can we have the fluid drained? Thankyou
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and Murray today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

I am sorry that your boy is having these problems. Draining the fluid is an option, but unless the cause of the fluid buildup is identified and corrected if possible, it will simply return. It is hard to say how quickly and that is somewhat determined by the cause as well. I am not sure if a cause was mentioned to you, but they can include things like abdominal tumors, low protein levels due to liver, GI or kidney disease), heart disease or viral diseases like FIP. The prognosis on most of these, especially once fluid build up is occurring is not great, but drainage may provide a temporary extension of quality of life.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

My posted replies are for general education only and not meant as a diagnosis. Only after a thorough veterinary examination can a diagnosis for your pet be made and specific treatments be advised or medications be prescribed.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The vet also did a blood test and scan, the cat had really high sugar levels. She also took a sample from the fluid and it was mixed with blood. She said it could possibly be a tumor on the pancreas but couldn't be sure, she also concluded it was not his liver from the tests.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I would suspect a pancreatic tumor may be visible on an ultrasound. With high blood glucose levels, an acute pancreatitis is also a possibility. It can be a challenge to confirm, but treatment is usually somewhat supportive and can include pain medication, steroids, fluid therapy as well as plasma transfusions. Draining the abdomen and/or adding a secondary diuretic like spironolactone may be helpful. These are often critical cases and must be managed in a critical care facility or Veterinary ER.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
Hi Murray,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Murray Wilson. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.