Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

My cat is having trouble coughing up a hairball. I have some

Customer Question

Customer: My cat is having trouble coughing up a hairball. I have some Atilax mixture (Lactulose). Should I give her some?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She is just coughing up some clear spittle and a bit of food
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 11 months ago.

Hello. I apologize for the wait. Different experts come on at different times and I just signed on and saw your question.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 27 years. I would be happy to help.

Lactulose is used in cats just be sure that it does not contain and xylitol ( many of the newer humans formulations have begun using this to sweeten). This is more often used for constipation but it may help to push the hairball through. 1 ml every 8 hours.

Other things you can try are

* 1/4 teaspoon of tuna oil

* A small dab of Vaseline applied to the paw for them to lick off

* Hair ball remedy which is available at most pet stores.

In rare cases hairballs can result in an intestinal obstruction so if she stops eating continues vomiting or could have eaten something she should not such as string, tinsel, small objects etc then I would suggest having her seen by your vet.

Again I apologize that no one was available to help you when you posted your question and I hope this helps and she feels better soon. Please reply back if you have additional questions and I will be more then happy to continue.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have no additional questions please take a few moments to provide a rating so that I am compensated by justanswer for assisting you today.

Candy