Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat Brady may have broke s leg. He is favoring the paw

Customer Question

My cat Brady may have broke his leg. He is favoring the paw and licking it. There doesn't seem to be any swelling. My dad has observed more of this than I have. Sorry for delay, there might have been some tech probs with the site earlier.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hello Matthew,

I am sorry Brady is hurt.

What makes you thing his leg is broken if there is no swelling?

Does it hurt him when you touch it?

Which leg is it?

Is he eating?

Indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Back after talking with my dad and checking out Brady...

Brady seems to be favoring the left front paw when walking. This has been true for a few days at least on and off. There also might be a slight swelling near the left front paw.

On the other hand, the leg doesn't seem to hurt when I touch it. I also noticed he seems OK with putting weight on the left front leg, at least as OK as he is with putting weight on the right front leg. He's also eating and drinking OK.

So it's probably not a broken leg after all, but we were a little worried for a few days.

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear *****,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. It is possible Brady's paw is merely sprained and not broken. However, only an xray would say for sure. If he is putting any weight on it at all, it is not likely broken.

Feel inbetween his pads and toes to check for a stuck item, broken nail or any abnormalities.

Apply cold (not ice)compresses to the affected area. 5 minutes on and 10 off for an hour. Then switch to warm compresses for another hour. Continue with whichever one gives him the most relief.

Do not give him any human OTCs like tylenol, ibuprofin, alleve or aspirin as most are toxic to cats.

Please let me know how he is doing. Just reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

As long as he is eating he is not in a lot of pain because of he was, he would refuse food.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Love,

Terri