Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My name is ***** ***** Kang. There is just three of us in

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** ***** Kang. There is just three of us in our household: myself, my husband and our Jessica who we have had since 2002 or 2003. We adopted her back then but never knew her age, tough she seemed to be a young cat. I am seriously worried about her because she stopped eating, though she is fine with water. In the U.S. and things are so commercial here, I am unsure as to what to buy for her to eat. Our store stopped stocking her food so my husband changed food on her. I found the food she eats and she gobbled it down the first evening, but in the past several days she has refused it period. Can you recommend a food I can find here in San Diego that you trust?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I believe the problem is more psychological for her, since we were in the process of boxing things up for a move, which is now not happening, but boxes are still everywhere, so her environment has changed.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Of course, my dear.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so much for requesting me. It is my pleasure to help.

I am sorry you are worried about Jessica.

Can you please tell me what and when she ate last?

Is she having normal bowel movements?

Do you have a tree up?

Could she have ingested tinsel or any other non food item?

Is she an indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me time to type or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Jessica ate a little canned salmon (from Trader Joe's) last night, but it was freshly opened.
Her boweel movements are slowing down...not as much feces coming out.
We have no tree. No tinsel....(I had a cat that did that once)
She is an indoor kitty with no outdoor options.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello, is anyone there?
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. As long as Jessica is passing stool and not vomiting I can rule out a blockage.

If she likes salmon, give its to her, its fine.

Give me a few more minutes to type detailed answer

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** time.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I wanted a recommendation for her food. Don't like buying commercial products.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is anyone there?
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl and let her lap it up for hydration. If she does offer the tuna.

She can also have canned cat food, human baby food with no onion or garlic.

Cats are attracted to smelly foods like fish, liver, chicken.

www.catinfo.org

If you want natural food with no grains try these:

http://www.petco.com/N_23_92_4294958166/Cat-Food-On-Sale.aspx

I lived in San Diego and used this company for natural foods. If they no longer have a rep there,they will ship it free.

www.wildcalling.com

I can give you several recipes that were formulated by Hills and distributed to vets brfore Science diet was on the market. Royal canin makes a very palatable canned food as well.

C/D or H/D recipe - feline (also known as Feline Restricted Mineral and Sodium Diet):
1 lb regular ground beef, cooked
1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only) cooked
1 cup cooked white rice without salt
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)
1/8 teaspoon potassium chloride (salt substitute)

Also add a balanced supplement which fulfills the feline minimum daily requirements (MDR) for all vitamins and trace minerals, and 250 mg of taurine per day. This would be available from a veterinary clinic.

Combine all ingredients and mix well. Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+3/4lbs

Feeding Guide - feed sufficient to maintain normal body weight

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding
5lb 1/5lb
7-8lb 1/4lb
10lb 1/3lb

_____________________________________________________________________________

K/D recipe - feline

(also known as Feline Restricted Protein Diet):

1/4 lb liver (beef, chicken or pork only)

2 cups cooked white rice without salt

2 large hard-cooked eggs

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 t (5g) calcium carbonate (Tums)

Dice and braise the meat, retaining fat. Combine all ingredients and mix well. This mixture is somewhat dry and its palatability can be improved by adding a little water (not milk). Keep covered in refrigerator. Yield: 1+1/4lbs

Body wt Approx Daily Feeding

5lb 1/4lb

7-8lb 1/3lb

10lb 2/5lb

Please let me know how Jessica is doing and if she likes the food.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.