Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cat has lost a tremendous amount of weight, and is

Customer Question

Customer: My cat has lost a tremendous amount of weight, and is walking weird. It seems her back legs aren't functioning properly. She stays by the food bowl and just kind of hangs her head over the side to drink and eat. I have cut a cardboard box down low so she can go to the bathroom. She doesnt appear to be in pain and is still responsive to touch and sound and likes to be pet. We moved across the country 3 years ago and she never seemed to recover from that. She hid all the time and would only come out at night to eat. She has always had upper respitory problems. I adopted her from the pound that way. Eye oozes and stuff. We have 3 other cats in the household that are fine.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My name is Maria
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Sure I have a conference call but i will leave this ohat open. It should last about 1/2 hour.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 11 months ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Maria, you've described a critically ill cat if only because of her profound weight loss. I suspect that her "walking weird" is due to generalized weakness as also evidenced by the manner in which she's drinking and eating. How old is she, please? It's difficult for me to be more specific for you from here but any cat as you've described should be attended to by her vet at your earliest convenience. Such weight loss always indicates severe disease. Cancers and degenerative diseases such as chronic renal and hepatic insuffiencies are important considerations in the older cats.

Please respond with additional information and further questions or concerns if you wish.