Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is suffering from a cold and stuffy nose. He hasn't

Customer Question

My cat is suffering from a cold and stuffy nose. He hasn't eaten for 3 days but is only taking water. Can I give him antibiotics orally? I'm in a country where the services of a vet is not readily available. Thanks.
Carmen
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 11 months ago.

Hello Carmen,

I am sorry Salem is ill.

Usually upper respiratory infections are viral and do not respond to antibiotics.

What medications do you have?

Run a hot shower to make a steam room in your bathroom and take him in for ten minute intervals to break up congestion.

He may be unable to smell food well

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl. See if he will lap it up. If he does offer some tuna.

You can also try canned cat food or human baby food with no onion or garlic.

Warm the food to bring out the aroma. You can also syringe feed by inserting the syringe in the side of his mouth where there is a space between his teeth.Dont hold him up like a human baby. Keep him on his tummy in a nursing position

Let me know what meds you have and I can give you the dosage.