Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is 23. She has been missing the litter box a lot

Customer Question

My cat is 23. She has been missing the litter box a lot lately - we're dealing . But tonight she peed in my bed - where she sleeps 23.5 hours a day
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Is it cruel to think of euthanasia at this point -
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 12 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your pet today. Since I can’t physically exam your pet, I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your pet. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has she had her urine tested for an infection? Any recent bloodwork? How is Zora's appetite?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Urine not tested. Last bloodwork showed beginning signs of kidney issues, but considering her age it wasn't too surprising.
She eats and drinks plenty but she only weigh's 3.6 lbs
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I can barely breathe in my bedroom the ammonia smell is so great. My husband seems to sleep through it. I have taken to sleeping in another room so I can breathe better- she sleeps next to my head if I'm in my bed.

Sorry to hear about Zora. With kidney disease the kidneys start to malfunctions. Since they are responsible for concentrating urine, cats in kidney failure end up having very dilute urine therefore having to need to urinate more frequently. This often leads to inappropriate urination which is what you are seeing with Zora. Unfortunately it is often a part of the ageing process in cats. With her age she is not likely to improve much or any treatment provided for her will likely only have a temporary effect. If you feel her quality of life is diminishing especially since she is losing weight very rapidly, then euthanasia is something that is not unreasonable or cruel to think about