Dwight Alleyne
Dwight Alleyne ,
Experience:  Veterinary Associate at Acres Mill Veterinary Clinic
87969507

I'm considering buying a cat family of 6 with 4 children

Customer Question

I'm considering buying a cat for my family of 6 with 4 young children and I was wondering what would be the best breed or type to get , and roughly how much would vaccines cost and how often would they need it
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dwight Alleyne replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is***** and I am a licensed veterinarian with over 9 years of experience. I am hoping to help you with your question today. I may need to respond with several follow up questions so I can best help you. Remember there is no limit on how many questions you can ask to in order to clarify any information I have provided regarding your concern. I just have a few initial questions to ask to gather some more information if you don’t mind? Has your family ever been around cats before? Any concerns with how they would react to a kitten?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They have not but I think they would love having a kitten , they always wanted one.

Oh glad to hear that you may be getting a kitten. The best cat to get for a family is one that is easygoing and one that does not have too much energy. If you are looking for a purebred then some breeds that may fit this description include a maine coon, burmese, or a Abyssinian. Otherwise I would look for a kitten around 4-6 months old because that is when most develop their personality. At least you can better assess their personality at this age to see if they will be a good fit for your family. Most cats need up to 3 sets of vaccines ~ 3-4 weeks apart. Costs can vary based on where you live but each set of vaccines can cost anywhere from $80-$150 at each visit.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dwight Alleyne