Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have to give my cat Metronidazole and Prednisolone

Customer Question

Customer: Hi I have to give my cat Metronidazole and Prednisolone everyday. I have it in the liquid form with tuna flavor. I tried the synrige for a couple of days, She hates me and runs away and I didn't know how to give her the meds. I have changed her food cause of IBD and she is on grain free rabbit and duck diet, I decided to put the liquid small amount of food for her to take it. She ate the food. I am just worried if it is okay put the liquid meds into her food is a good way to administer the drugs. Any advice....thank you
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She has suspected IBD or Lymphoma or both. They have not done biopsy but Ultrasound was not clear. We have started her on Metronidazole ( 2 times a day) and Prednisone (once a day) tried pill and liquid both and she is just not having it but with food it seems to work
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
She is about 10 years old
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. This is a very short answer I know but it 100% covers your question. : These drugs will still work well enough if you add them to her food, so no worries there. It may not be quite as good as giving them directly by syringe but the main thing is to get these drugs into her somehow.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 11 months ago.

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning how to dose the drugs ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?