Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a 9 week old kitten that as of this morning was

Customer Question

I have a 9 week old kitten that as of this morning was running around playful and eating. We came home from work this afternoon to find her listless and lethargic. She has defecated in the floor beside her. She has been eating soft food and drinking well. It takes alot of stimuli to get a response out of her then it is very short lived. When she tries to walk she is weak and wobbly? Her body is warm but on the cooler side, not burning up like she has a fever and appears to have a difficult time opening her eyes.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I'm so sorry to hear that your young kitten is not feeling well. Kittens of this age can go downhill quickly, if they develop a viral or bacterial infection or if she has chewed or ingested something she shouldn't have. She could have gotten into some trash and ate a non-food item or found some human medication that fell on the floor or licked a surface that was cleaned with a cleanser that was toxic. She could have bitten through an electrical wire and got electrocuted.

As you can see, there are so many possibilities and if we don't know the cause of her symptoms, this is not a case that can be treated with a home remedy. At the moment, you are doing the right thing in keeping her warm and attempting to get her to take some fluids, but it would be advisable to have her seen by a vet or ER vet center right away, to get a diagnosis and have her treated. I hope you're able to do that, and please let me know how she's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Cher
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

I'm just following up with you to see how your kitten is doing, now.

Were you able to have her seen by a vet to get a diagnosis and have her treated? I hope so, and she's feeling much better!

Please let me know how she's feeling today, because I'm concerned about her.

It would be greatly appreciated, if you found my answer helpful, to rate with positive feedback so I can receive credit from the site for my assistance. If you need any additional information or have further concerns, please just click on the 'Reply to Expert' or 'Continue Conversation' tab and I will be glad to be of more help. Thank you!

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

It's been a week now, and I haven't heard back from you. I'm very interested in knowing how your kitty is doing now and if you found my answer helpful.

I would greatly appreciate it if you would please let me know if you received my answer and what's happening with your kitty.

Thanks very much!

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took her to the vet. Unsure if she has hydrocephalus or if the fontanelle reopened in its own. She is doing well as for eating however we now believe she is blind as she walks in circles and bumps into things
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, and thanks so much for your reply and update.

I'm sorry to hear that the vet believes she may have hydrocephalus or the fontanel has reopened. Typically, the fontanel closes within a couple of months after birth, but in some cases, it can take up to a year. Open fontanels usually don't cause any kind of brain damage, but if the vet feels she may be blind at this time, she may have experienced a head trauma you were not aware of, which either reopened the fontanel or it wasn't completely closed. The soft spot is really quite small.

If she is blind, blind cats can live normal lives as long as they can navigate their environment and you don't move any furniture, etc. I'm glad to hear that she's eating well, now, and I'm sure you're helping her get along as well as possible, with the litterbox, etc.

Has any imaging been done, like an x-ray, ultrasound or CT of her head/brain, so more information can be learned? I'm sure you're continuing to consult with your vet to get a definite diagnosis and then, see if any treatment is needed.

It would be greatly appreciated if you would rate my answer positively, so I receive credit from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Also, please keep me posted on how your kitten is coming along and if you find out any new information. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher