Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Very hungry cat not eating saturday morning or friday night;

Customer Question

Very hungry cat not eating saturday morning or friday night; spoke with vet on saturday. Pepcid. I added probiotic. Diarrhea runny and green. nibbled on dry food. have seen Sampson drinking water but have not seen much urine and cat urinates a lot. was going to take to vet today but had appetite this morning. 11 hours later, no urine in box. could have urinated in the room i guess. spoke with vet today about whether probiotics could have made diarrhea worse. This (Monday) evening, a lot of liquid diarrhea in box but looks like it occurred in one setting. Lots of it. Recent blood work good except for borderline kidney readings. cat 3 years old and yes is 27 pounds. thyroid tests okay. giving 250 calories a day or less approximately. very concerned about significantly less urine and wondering if I should go to emergency room. He doesn't appear to feel well. Pardon the way I have written this. Ideas?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi Gerry and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to give you my thoughts on Samson's symptoms.

The lack of appetite and green diarrhea are of concern, because when a cat doesn't eat or doesn't eat properly, even for a short time, he risks developing a serious liver condition called hepatic lipidosis or 'fatty liver' and we would want to avoid this at all costs.

The diarrhea may be green because his empty stomach is producing excess acid or he may have acid reflux, which is acid coming up into his throat and burning it. This can cause nausea as well, hence, the recommendation of Pepcid.

What has me most concerned now, is that if he usually urinates a lot and is not, now, he could have a urinary tract or bladder infection, or he could have a urinary blockage, which is a medical emergency in male cats. Here is more information:

http://www.catvets.com/cat-owners/disease-and-conditions/flutd

If he is overweight, at 27 pounds, he also may have developed or is on his way to developing diabetes, which will need to be treated. I'm glad you're trying to get him to lose weight via reduced caloric intake. Older cats are also more prone to develop hyperthyroidism, liver and kidney issues. Even though his thyroid tests were okay, more sensitive tests might be needed to see if this is a possibility.

At this point, I would definitely recommend an ER vet visit so Samson can be evaluated in person and additional lab work can be done; then, you will get a diagnosis and treatment to help him feel better.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy, and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,
Cher