Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Ally just had 5 kittens two weeks ago. She is a good mother.

Customer Question

Ally just had 5 kittens two weeks ago. She is a good mother. Today she threw up orange bile 4 times small amounts. She last ate this morning. She is druling clear saliva.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Kristi and welcome!

Congratulations on your new, furry additions! : )

I'm glad Ally is being a good mother, but I'm sorry to hear that she is vomiting today and drooling clear saliva.

What food does she eat?

Is she urinating and defecating as usual?

Does she spend any time outside?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me a short while to go over it and compose your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She eats fancy feast chicken and gravy. 3 times a day. She has not went potty in about 4 hours. She is still nursing her kittens but I know she feels bad. She is a inside only cat but I have an outdoor cat too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't afford a trip to the vet and it's hurting me that I can't help her
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Kristi and thanks for your helpful reply.

The vomiting of the orange bile may indicate she has excess acid in her stomach or is experiencing acid reflux, which is acid coming up into her throat and burning it. This will also cause nausea and drooling can be a symptom of nausea or a dental problem. It's also possible she has developed a stomach virus, or can't get rid of some stool and I understand that's why you tried the hairball remedy. She also could have been exposed to something brought into the house by your cat who spends time outdoors. She could have ingested a non-food item or something toxic and this is causing her symptoms.

I usually suggest the use of an over the counter human acid controller, like Pepcid AC (Famotidine), but it is not safe to use in nursing cat-moms.

Offer her some infant's clear, unflavored Pedialyte, mixed 50/50 with water. You don't want her to get dehydrated while nursing. If she's not interested in drinking on her own, you can dropper feed her, slowly, from the side of her mouth, a little bit at a time. Give 2 droppers every 30 minutes for an hour, then let her rest and give more in 2 hours.

I understand your financial bind in not being able to get her to the vet, but I have some suggestions for you that might help.

The following,nationwide vet office provides a downloadable coupon for a free first visit for new patients, so you might want to try that.

http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/offer

You might also consider applying for Care Credit which is accepted by most vet offices:

http://www.carecredit.com/vetmed/

This is a list of organizations that might help pay for vet visits, under your circumstances:

http://speakingforspot.com/index.php?p=Financial-Assistance-for-Veterinary-Care

-----------------------

For the time being, try to keep her drinking: water, water and Pedialyte, tuna water drained from the can, cat milk and/or 'Cat Sure', found in pet stores; it's like 'Ensure' for humans.

I hope your Ally is feeling much better, very soon and you are able to have her evaluated by a vet to get a diagnosis and treatment, when she's seen in person, if any of those suggestions above, work out for you.

Let me know how else I can support you. If you found my answer helpful, please take a moment to click on the rating tab to rate my support.

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 12 months ago.

Hi again, Kristi.

How is Ally doing today? I hope she's improved!

I wanted to add this as another possibility, even though she doesn't have all the symptoms: eclampsia, which is low blood calcium in nursing cat moms, which can occur between 2-6 weeks after giving birth. Here is more info:

http://www.petplace.com/article/cats/diseases-conditions-of-cats/reproduction/eclampsia-in-cats

I hope some of my suggestions for getting low cost or no cost vet care for Ally will work for you. You can also contact your local Humane Society, ASPCA, and Cat Rescue Organizations to see if they can help you find a vet who will see Ally without charge or for a reduced fee.

Please keep me posted, as I'm concerned for her. Thanks!

Warmest regards,

Cher