Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

My eight-year-old cat's sides have been heaving in and out

Customer Question

My eight-year-old cat's sides have been heaving in and out for the past several hours. He seems perfectly normal in every other way -- playful, active, good appetite, no trouble breathing. I don't know how often he's used the litter box during this time. He had his annual physical two and a half weeks ago and the vet said he was fine. When I called the vet's office a few hours ago the vet said to take him to the emergency room if he showed signs of difficulty breathing but otherwise couldn't think of anything this symptom could mean.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, Joyce and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** I will be glad to assist you with your question about Bennett.

I'm sorry his symptoms have you worried.

I'm glad he's not showing any signs of difficulty breathing, outwardly, but when you can see his sides heaving in and out, as he breathes, this may indicate a respiratory or other problem. Some common causes of this symptom may include heart failure, asthma, pain, lymphoma, stress, just to name a few.

Even though he's eating and playing as usual, I would still advise a visit to the ER vet center, to have him evaluated in person. X-rays will help determine the underlying cause of this symptom. Sometimes, they will put him in an oxygen cage to help calm him down, so x-rays can be taken.

I hope you're able to get him to an ER vet, asap and please let me know how he's doing and what they tell you. Thanks!

I hope all will be well with your Bennett!

Warmest wishes,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Joyce.

I'm just checking in with you to see how Bennett is doing now, as I'm concerned about him. I hope all is well!

Were you able to have him seen in person by a vet? If so, please let me know the diagnosis and if treatment was prescribed. Thanks!

Also, please let me know if you found my answer helpful and click the Ratings tab with a positive rating, so I am credited for my support. Thank you very much!

Warmest regards,

Cher