Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

I have a senior cat 15plus years -- indoors -- except 1-2

Customer Question

hi I have a senior cat 15plus years -- indoors -- except for maybe 1-2 hours out front in the sun. she woke up this morning with an open scab ( hair missing on right hip) the size of a 50cent piece -- sensitive-moist - looks like its draining. she is still eating and loving --- she had a sore 3 weeks ago very similar but has started to heal. also do not know if this is related we have 2 other cats that are younger by 7plus years-- she has also started having scabs towards her tail started off small -- thought it was on of the other cats playing/ swiping at her --but the scabs seem to be in more mass these last few days --have pretty much separated her from the other cats for the last 10 days. She scratched on her skin at other areas of her body but doesn't appear to have fleas (but she doesn't have skin issues at these other areas). In the past we provided raw & cooked chicken food.---food? environment? age? concerned p.j. ***@******.***
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Patrice,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next five to ten minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thanks waiting for your reply

Just typing it out now ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

Sorry for the delay, we just had two minute power cut here and of course having typed out your reply I have lost everything before I could send it.

Please give me more time to collect my thoughts and type it all out again.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Patrice,

Sorry to hear your cat is uncomfortable, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. This sounds like a patch of an allergy related dermatitis or eczema, this is actually quite common in the cat and some cats seem much more prone to it than others. The actual cause of this is often unclear but fleas are often implicated, some cats are very prone to allergic reactions to flea bites so even one or two bites will set it off even where the owners is unaware that fleas are present. If you have recently changed the cat's diet just before symptoms arose then food allergies can be a cause as can things like house dust mites when the heating is first turned on for the winter. But as I say it if often hard to pin down a precise cause.

2. What to do about it? : On the home remedy front I have known owners handle this by using a good flea product such as Frontline on all the animals and then treating the inside of the house where the cats are as well. You can then apply the likes of hydrocortisone cream, { Which is an over the counter product } twice a day for a week or so but also consider an antibiotic based product such as Neosporin cream. Of course if the symptoms started just after a change in diet then you should switch back to the previous diet as well.

3. The great thing about these sorts of skin diseases in cats is that they are rarely too serious, but while they often respond to the type of home remedy I have described above there would certainly be cases where prescription anti-allergy drugs from your vet would also be required.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok the allergie thing is what we thought -- the dust mite was interesting-- thanks

Hello again,

Glad to talk this over with you further ...

Flea related causes are common as are dietary allergies, but inhaled allergens can also play a part, pollen in the spring and summer and dust mites in winter. These inhaled allergens are hard to get out of the cat's environment so these are the cases that often require low level prescription anti-allergy drugs to keep things calm.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Where this becomes a chronic problem and diet is thought to be part of the cause then there are various excellent prescription diets which your vet can supply. I have know this to b every effective ....

Regards,

Dr Scott

Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 12 months ago.

Hello again Patrice,

I am just checking back in to see how your cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning her skin allergies.

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.