Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My six yr old cat hasn't eaten in 8 days. She had been on

Customer Question

My six yr old cat hasn't eaten in 8 days. She had been on liquid steroid for two months, the last 2 weeks taking a double dose due to a wheezing sound coming from her throat. She is depressed, hiding in a dark spot unless I pick her up. Could this be from running out of the steroid after taking it so long? (She has a severe skin allergy & did very well on it. Pharmacy is out of the compound until Dec. 7).
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gene replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I have a few questions for you to help me clarify the situation:

1. What was the steroid given for initially? Was it for the throat inflammation?
2. What did her blood testing show?
3. What flea prevention is she on?
4. Was the throat inflammation still present at this last visit on Tuesday?

Thanks!

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Sadie is not eating. It is possible this is a side effect of withdrawal from stopping the steroid abruptly. Patients must be weaned off steroids to prevent this reaction.

Info on Stomatitis.

We usually remove all the teeth from these patients because dental abscesses lead to oral legions.

She is better off without the teeth because once the bacteria from decaying teeth gets into he bloodstream it can affect all the cats organs and cause kidney or liver failure as well as cardiac issues.

Cats that have Stomatitis, which is a severe inflammation of the mouth have a lot of pain and often stop eating. That is a different condition than normal gingivitis which is treatable by dental scaling. However, Stomatitis is NOT treatable so annual cleanings are a waste of time and money because the oral bacteria enters the stomach and makes the cat extremely ill. Antibiotics and steroids are often used.We usually recommend removal of all teeth for best results. Then the cat lives a normal healthy life eating soft food.She does not even miss the teeth.Here is info you can print and refer to.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_plasma_cell_stomatitis.html

You must get her eating or her liver can fail.

Get a few jars or chicken or turkey baby food with no onion or garlic. Warm the food to bring out the aroma.

If she does not eat on her own, syringe feed a tablespoon every hour to get her started. Keep her on her tummy in a nursing position. don't hold her up like a human baby. Insert the syringe in the side of her mouth where her is a space between her teeth.

Go very slow so she does not get overwhelmed or throw up.

Please let me know how she is doing. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Love,

Terri