Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Terri, I have a 3 year old domestic haired cat who has

Customer Question

Terri,
I have a 3 year old domestic long haired cat who has gotten extremely sick. About 3 months ago, I switched his diet. (Big mistake to begin with). He was eating 2 cans of wet food daily (one morning one at night) and has dry food that was left out during the day when he wanted to nibble on something. I switched him from wet food to dry food only. The wet food was getting expensive. I did not think it would do him any harm considering he was on only dry food before. About 4 days pass and I realize he hasn't been eating any of the dry so I tried giving him back his wet food. He would not take it. He is a very picky cat and only likes the flakey textured wet food. I tried different brands and flavors but he wouldn't take anything. Took him to the vet, blood was normal, tested negative for everything, they even went in surgically and nothing was blocking his digestive system at all. He was then put on a feed tube for two months. During that two months we tried everything possible
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

Thanks so much for requesting me. It is my pleasure to help.However, I need more information.

Do you see any jaundice (yellow eyes or gums)?

What was he being tube fed?

Is he home now?

After your reply please give me time to read over the info and type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terri,He was on a feeding tube for a few months but was removed due to the max amount of time a cat should have the tube in for. He made no attempt to eat while having the tube in. We also tried force feeding. The ONLY thing he accepts is milk and the milk replacement formula for kittens. He is currently surviving on that since the tube was taken out. No yellow eyes, everything is normal with him
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is home now. We've tried feeding tube, force feeding, baby food, warmed up food, eggs, cooked samon tuna turkey and chicken, broccoli, dry food, wet food (all different brands and textures), cheese. Nothing works but the milk. We've tried mixing the food in with the milk but he smells the food and doesn't accept it.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Alex,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I am glad there is no jaundice. I can rule out hepatic lipidosis thank God.

It is possible he feels nauseated causing his inappetence.

Give him one quarter of a ten mg pepcid a/c (famotidine) in tablespoon of baby food. Make sure it does not contain onion or garlic.

http://www.1800petmeds.com/Famotidine-prod11171.html

Wait 30 minutes, then offer some warm foodGet vanilla ensure (its for elderly people) in any supermarket. Its milk based so hopefully he will drink it.on't over whelm him. Give him teeny amounts so his system gets used to eating.

Get a few cans of A/D from his vet.

Take his temperature. Normal is 100 - 102.5. If his is too low or high he will refuse food.

If he is dehydrated he will not eat so he would need SUBQ fluids.

Very slowly syringe feed a/d or baby food chicken or turkey. Insert the syringe in the side of his mouth where there is a space between his teeth. Don't hold him like a human baby. He will do best on his tummy in a nursing position.

Please let me know how he is doing. I will work with you until we get him eating and better.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Love and prayers,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terri,Thank you for this helpful info. I will br trying this today! I believe he is not eating because in his mind he thinks food will make him sick. I've bad the similar feeling when I was sick with flu and got sick whenever I smelt steak. Took me years before I could ever eat it again. Hopefully I can teach him to eat again. I will keep you updated and ask more questions when I get the results
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Alex,

You are more then welcome. It is my pleasure to help such a wonderful person.

You're right! He feels nauseated, hence he fears food will make him feel worse. He probably gets sick when he even smells it.

Lets see if he likes ensure

The trick is to give him pepcid and go veeeeeeeery slowly with feedings.

Keep me posted. I will always be here for you!

Love,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Terri,Where can I purchase the pepcid for cats store wise instead of online?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

You can get pepcid A/C (famotidine) in any drug store or supermarket.

It is for people but safe for cats.

Be sure to get regular.....not extra strength.

Love,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok I just gave him a quarter of the 10mg pepcid. I will wait 30 minutes and then try and give him some food. I bought some ensure so I will put that out. Currently he's drinking the milk replacement formula. After the pepcid kicks in should I try and force feed him? Or just leave the food out for him?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I gave him the pepcid pill. He rejected the ensure milk but drank the kitten milk replacement formula again. I tried warming up wet food and offering it to him but he wouldn't take it. I put some one his lips to lick off and tried getting some in his mouth but he wasn't too happy about it.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Alex,

I am sorry I was not online when you posted.

What food did you warm and try after the pepcid?

Has he taken anything besides the milk?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I warmed up a little bit of the shredded wet food he used to like. It's by Friskies. He didn't want anything to do with it. He won't take anything but the milk. The ensure he did not take either
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Let's forget about foods with shreds, chunks or pieces.

Get some pate canned food like A/D or Friskies liver & chicken or turkey w giblets.

Also baby food chicken, turkey or lamb.

30 minutes after the pepcid, syringe feed small amounts like a tsp every 15 minutes for an hour.Make sure there is no onion or garlic in the baby food.Repeat 4 times a day

Don't hold him up like a human baby. Feed him in a nursing position where he is on his tummy like he was nursing his mother

Let me know how this goes......

Expert:  Terri replied 12 months ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Alex Barrett. How is everything going?
Terri