Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 10 year old kitty Bubba has been on prednisone couple of

Customer Question

My 10 year old kitty Bubba has been on prednisone for a couple of years, varying dosage from 1/4-1/2-1 full tablet, 5 mg daily. When weaning in the past, he has begun vomiting again soon after tapering back or stopping. My vet's open to how I might choose to taper this time around. Bubba has been getting a unique gut inflammation remedy, we've started laser therapy just to see how that might help, and we've added colostrum. For the past week, I gave 1/2 tab alternating with 1/4 tab every other day (prior to that he'd gotten 1/2 tab daily). I'm just trying to decide whether to continue with 1/2 tab every other day alternating with no pred every other day; or to give 1/4 tab every day for a week or two. . .
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

Just to make sure we are on the same page; he is currently getting 1/2 tab one day and 1/4 tab the next day?

In the past, what was the dosing like when you noticed that he would start vomiting again?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was confused about how to reply before, sorry, just landed here. Yes, he is currently getting 1/2 tab one day and 1/4 tab the next. Dosing was relatively low, but I can't recall exactly. I've emailed our vet to see if she noted what I'd done because I cannot locate my notes though I will continue searching. I can get back to you one way or another.
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

No problem. Yes. Please get back to me. It would be very helpful to know at what point of tapering down the prednisone, he had started to vomit again in the past.