Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My cat has s tongue partially out and is very grumpy and

Customer Question

my cat has his tongue partially out and is very grumpy and hiding. I am worried about him, plus I have another cat who is sneezing blood?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a few questions for you to better assess your situation.

Is the cat with the tongue hanging out panting? Is he sneezing or sounding congested?

How much blood in in the other cat's nasal discharge?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the cats not panting. Just hiding with tongue partially out but very aggressive & angry when approaching him. He can walk with no problems.
With the other cat, its only a little blood in the nasal discharge
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. I assume the cat with the tongue out is not sneezing? I am very suspicious of a viral infection between the cats. If the tongue is just sticking out, I would be concerned about oral pain. Some upper respiratory viruses can cause sores in the mouth that leads to pain. Most likely that is the source of the blood. It is entirely possible that the cats are dealing with two separate issues, but it seems like too much of a coincidence. Usually when cats are showing signs of illness, it is more advanced than you would think. They are experts at hiding illnesses. I would try and get them to your vet to evaluate before their conditions worsen. Not much you can do at home for this. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. Rating it is the only way I get credit for helping you. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Harper. How is everything going?
Dr. John