Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 44 years of experience
55012488

My cat has got a black on her nose that is slowly increasing

Customer Question

my cat has got a black mark on her nose that is slowly increasing in size - should I take her to vet. Shes very happy still
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Can you upload a photo of your cat's nose to our conversation? You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. I can be more accurate for you if I can see what you're seeing. How old is your cat, please?

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the cat is about 12. Image attached

Thank you for the pic! Is the mark "freckle-like" or is it raised as if it were a growth or scab?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The mark is flat like a freckle/birth mark rather than raised like a scab

Thank you! It would be considered a lentigo, then, which is an asymptomatic condition characterized by a black macule (black patch) of skin. These can also appear on he lips, gums, ear flaps or eyelids. The prognosis is good because these are benign skin changes and a cosmetic problem only. The only other differential diagnosis is melanoma but such a cancer is aggressive, raised, and associated with inflammation - redness of the skin. Please continue our conversation if you wish.