Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My cat is a two year old male. Two nights ago we were woken

Customer Question

My cat is a two year old male. Two nights ago we were woken up by his yowling and he seemed at first to be in distress. He stopped yowling, we offered some treats and he then seemed fine. Just now (4:30 am) he again woke us. This time, I heard him have what I can only explain as watery diarrhea. After he pooped, he started yowling again and was licking his butt area. I picked him up, was pushing on his bladder to see if his distress was from not peeing. He didn't have a problem with me pushing on his belly but when I tried to wipe his hiney, he was not happy with that. Can you tell me what you think may be wrong? Should I take him to the vet hospital?. He has been eating well and now he's just laying on the bed. Could it be a stomach virus? Please advise. With it being thanksgiving I won't be able to get him to my vet till Friday!. So if you think the vet hospital is necessary, please advise. Thank you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hello Sonya,

I am sorry Crazy Horse is not feeling well.

First thing, Make sure he is able to urinate.

Feel all over his body for any pain response, wound, stuck item or sore.

Look inside his mouth for a stuck item, bad tooth, sore or any abnormalities. Check under tongue, roof, cheek pouches and between lips and teeth.

If you do not see anything, see if he is willing to eat. You can try canned food, tuna, or even turkey.

For diarrhea add one tablespoon of boiled white rice to canned or baby food (no onion or garlic).

Please let me know how he is doing. Reply here or if you prefer, we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I "make sure he can urinate"?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Have you seen him urinate since yesterday?

Is there urine in his litter box?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have 12 cats sorryi should have mentioned. I'll have to lock him in a room by himself to check that
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Did you check inside mouth and feel all over his body?

Is he willing to eat?

Could he have eaten something he should not have gotten?

Do you have a can of tuna in water in the house?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He's eating just fine. I can't honestly say I've seen him drinking or using the litter box. Last night when he had the diarrhea, he had an accident on the floor. My biggest concern is the urine blockage. Do you know of any signs that I should look for that would be a clear indicator that he's having pee problems?. I've given him a rub down, he doesn't have any injuries and nothing in his mouth. After he had the incident at 5 am, he's been sleeping.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Dear Sonya,

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Signs of a urinary blockage are:

going in and out of the litter box, straining, with little or no production.

Licking he genital area

crying out in pain

refusing to eat

lethargy

Here is more information:

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/urinary_blockage.html

Drain the water from a can of tuna into a bowl. See if he will lap it up for hydration. If he does offer the tuna.

If you don't have tuna try canned cat food or turkey.

If he is willing to eat, he is most likely not blocked or sick.

Please let me know what is happening with him.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer so I am credited by the site. rating will not close our conversation. I will still be here for you at no additional charge.

Love,

Terri