Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Would fluxin work similarly cat with an impaction as it does

Customer Question

Would fluxin work similarly for a cat with an impaction as it does for a horse? It's my understanding that fluxin in particular reduces inflammation in soft tissue, and helps counteract the inflamatory and spasmodic conditions which may contribute to an intestinal blockage. Is it safe for cats?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

I believe you mean 'flunixin' (Banamine) and because it is an 'NSAID' (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug'), it is not recommended for use in cats, because it can cause intestinal ulcers. Here is more information about this medication and small animal use:

http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/prescription/flunixin-banamine

If Kiki is having a problem with an intestinal blockage, the pumpkin (plain, canned pumpkin, not pie filling) is good, because it provides natural, beneficial fiber, but it is not a 'quick' fix and must be used for a week or two to see results.

I would increase the moisture in her food (canned food, only) by adding water to it and also encourage her to drink more water on her own. A cat drinking fountain is great for this, because cats love to drink from a moving water source. You can find cat drinking fountains in all major pet supply stores and other stores that have pet departments, like Walmart, Target, etc.

Ask your vet if Lactulose or Miralax may be helpful in Kiki's situation, or you can add Benefiber or Metamucil to Kiki's food--1/2 - 1 tsp. per day. There are further instructions and other home remedies listed at the link below, but always consult with your vet before giving any treatments and ask about the dosage of Miralax, if your vet approves it:

http://www.etownanimalhospital.com/uploads/Cat_CONSITIPATION_PDF.pdf

If you feel the blockage is caused by ingesting too much fur while self-grooming, make sure to comb/brush her several times a day, to remove that excess fur.

I hope Kiki is doing much better, very soon!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive credit for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, at no additional charge.

Warmest regards,
Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Kiki. How is everything going?
Cher