Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My 5 year old, female cat, Danika, just scratched me on the

Customer Question

My 5 year old, female cat, Danika, just scratched me on the face! I was petting her and kind of singing and saw her ears go back. I asked her what was wrong, in my normal voice, and she clawed me on the face. I don't get it. She's my baby girl and the 3rd cat I've had. I adore her. It hurt my feelings. why would she do this?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hello Quisha,

I am so sorry Danika scratched you. If you were singing you may have made a sound or face that startled her. Or she could have just been attracted by the motion. This has happened to me where the cat was after my blinking eyelashes

I honestly don't think she meant to hurt you. It is instinct to swipe at any moving target.

Show her what she did to your cheek and say NO! THAT HURT! Then put her down and turn your back. She will most likely come over and rub on you to try to make up with you. Please don't be mad at her.

This is NOT a mean or aggressive cat. She just becomes overstimulated.

The trick is to watch her body language and stop petting the instant you see her tail swish or her ears go back.

http://www.purina.com/cat/body-language/understandbodylanguage.aspx

I promise she loves you and thinks of you as her "mommy" - she was just trying to play with you the way she would with another kitty.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further and I will be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri