Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Ive just started to notice some new behaviour in my cat over

Customer Question

hi ive just started to notice some new behaviour in my cat over the past couple of days, she has been staring at a candle and looking up at the ceiling and earlier on she was looking up at the ceiling and stood up on her back legs and put her paws together. Do you know what this means?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry Tilly's new behavior has you worried. It doesn't sound like anything concerning. Many times, cats will chase shadows because they think they are prey or other living things that they can't catch. If a candle is burning, it's making shadows that are 'dancing' on the ceiling. If the candle is not lit, the lighting in the room may cause certain objects to cast shadows.

There's also a possibility that there IS a flying bug or other type of insect on the ceiling that she can see, but you can't.

As long as Tilly is eating, drinking, eliminating and active as usual, I would not be overly concerned with this new behavior, but if it continues or she seems obsessed with something on the ceiling, you can always have her evaluated in person by her vet to check her vision and reflexes and make sure all is well, medically.

I hope all will be well with your furry girl!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher