PitRottMommy
PitRottMommy, Veterinary Nurse
Experience:  15 yrs experience in vet med, 8 in emergency med. Founder of a non-profit animal rescue
8538164

11 yr old "foodie" cat not finishing food all of a sudden. A

Customer Question

11 yr old "foodie" cat not finishing food all of a sudden. A guy friend she avoids and really scratched once is here every night now, and now she won't come to bed a t all if he is here. Otherwise she is my constant companion. Earlier she had hair all throwing up when he was around. Now this. Stools seem ok, and urinating fine. Not sick acting. What do you think I might be.
Category: Cat
Expert:  PitRottMommy replied 1 year ago.

Hi Sara. I'm sorry to hear your companion isn't finishing her food.

From the sound of it, she's probably not eating all of her food secondary to stress of this person being around all the time. Is there a place in the home where she can go and be guaranteed privacy? A place where this person won't go?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is plenty of space for her. She's not done this before though. Food is her favorite thing. She has been really overwiefpght...so this cold be a plus as long as it's not a serious condition. Sounds like I need to check w my vet.

It certainly won't hurt to have her physically examined. At 11 years of age there are a lot of things that can contribute to not wanting to eat such as pancreatitis, kidney issues, etc. That being said, if you feel this is linked to this person's presence in the home, there may not be much else to do aside from ask them to stay away for a few days to see if she goes back to eating normally. Behaviorally speaking, you can work through the stress of a cat to a certain degree. But, and I push this pretty hard, stress is often one of the biggest factors in a cat not eating. While she may have a lot of space in the home itself, her food may need to be moved to a place where she feels she can safely dedicate the time to eating it all. Many cats are grazers and if she doesn't feel safe out in the open or otherwise around this person (even if it's just a perceived threat), she may be unwilling to eat now...and then progress into other behaviors like inappropriate use of the litter box and such.

Do you have any idea why she doesn't like this person? Is there anything that can be done to minimize the exposure? The reason I asked about the safe spot is cats will sometimes resume their regular habits if they feel safer (so if she likes your bedroom and feels the safest there, perhaps move her food there to see if she will then finish it all.) Again, you've got the right idea with having your vet do an exam on her. The question, really, is what to do if she's perfectly healthy.