Dr Scott Nimmo, Small Animal Veterinarian.
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My fiance's cat ha suddenly started urinating on her(my

Customer Question

My fiance's cat ha suddenly started urinating on her(my fiance') bed.
The cat still uses the litterbox as well for urinating and defecating so I'm not sure what is going on.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello Patrick,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. You can expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.

We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype. Please get back to me if this is more convenient for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again Patrick and thanks for waiting.

This can be a very frustrating problem I know, however I have worked out an answer for you ...

My first recommendation is always to have the cat examined by a vet in case this is some sort of medical problem. Consider urinary tract infections or any condition which might make her drink excessively such as diabetes or kidney disease. This may be unlikely I know but this is your logical starting point.

If this is not a medical problem then it must be a behavioural problem, if this turns out to be the case then it can be a challenge, but listed below is the sum total of the ideas I gave as a handout to my clients at my clinic whose cats have behaved in this way, some of these ideas have worked well,

1. When you clean up after where she has been use one of the odour eliminator type solution you can get from the vet or pet store. These work as they have a biological action like a washing machine soap powder and digest organic matter. In fact a dilute solution of such a soap powder is a good thing to use as well. If you just use normal soap and water it will smell fine to you but to the cat it will still smell it afterwords, and if the place smells like a public toilet to a cat she may use it as such! Make sure you leave the cleaning agent to soak for a while, this should be fine in the sink anyway.

2. Try moving the cat litterbox, that's often a good thing to do. Best advice is to keep the litter tray well away from food or water bowls because that could be reason she does not go. Sometimes providing another litter tray elsewhere in the house is a good idea as well.

3. Change your cat litter to another brand which is very different in colour and texture from the brand you are using now. Also consider using earth from the garden instead of cat litter, it is not quite so absorbent as cat litter in terms of smells etc. but it is much more natural for the cat and might bring her back into her litter tray. If this works you can gradually go back to regular cat litter.

4. Some cats start to be dirty in the house because they are marking out their territory in response to some anxiety, another cat in the neighbourhood { Perhaps just seen through the window } etc. Products such as Feliway can help here, some of my clients swear by Feliway. It is used a lot in the UK but hopefully it is available in your area, your vet will advise. I have put a link about Feliway below for you to check out.

LINK

5. Some cats respond to low level tranquillisers where territorial anxiety concerning other cats is a factor but this is a last resort, it often works well though.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough and given you a few ideas to try but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Hello again Patrick,

I am just checking back in to see how your fiance's cat is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the inappropriate urination ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.