Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 14 years of clinical veterinary experience
11664588

My baby is experiencing episodes of vomiting followed by a

Customer Question

my baby is experiencing episodes of vomiting followed by a day of not eating until she gets back to normal 12 years had x ray and sonogram...no blockage or tumors
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for writing in. My name is***** and I would be happy to help you. I do have a couple questions to see if I can better assess your situation.

Has your vet ran any blood work?

If so, do you know what was ran and what the results were?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He has run complete blood work...urinalysis..fecal check...X ray...Sonogram prescribed !/4 Pepcid AC daily..He also ruled out a previous diagnosis of Pancreatitis when the vomit consisted of small amounts of bile. This vomit consists of mainly clear liquid...some hair at times...but not really any if at all previously eaten food I hope that this additional info helps get me another opinion *****@******.***
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Test results were all negative
Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for the information. I assume the thyroid value was included in the blood work as well? Hyperthyroidism can cause chronic vomiting in cats. With most of these chronic vomiting cats, there is an underlying inflammatory bowel disease disorder, but with older cats, you have to consider gastrointestinal lymphoma as well. With either disease, you can sometimes see an increase in thickening of the small intestinal tract and/or stomach, but that isn't always the case. I would consider running a GI panel which will measure serum cobalamin and folate levels and some potential gastrointestinal infections. In many cases, the cobalamin levels may be low and just need supplementation (usually requires injections). Beyond that, it sounds like the next test would be stomach and small intestinal endoscopy with potential biopsy of any lesions noted. That is the only way to definitely rule out inflammatory bowel disease and GI lymphoma. In many cases, if the bloodwork is completely normal, I will try them on a course of prednisolone for IBD to see if that helps as well. Please let me know if you have any other questions or concerns. Hope this helps.

DISCLAIMER: My goal is to make sure that you get all your question answered and all the information you need. If you are satisfied with my answer, please rate it. If you feel like it is not helpful to you, or if there is more information you need, please respond back to me before rating. Realize that our conversation is not intended to diagnose or treat a condition. There has to be a valid veterinary-client-patient relationship established with an exam, according to law. You should always follow up with your vet.

Expert:  Dr. John replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Katie. How is everything going?
Dr. John