Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

I wonder if you are able to help please? We have recently

Customer Question

I wonder if you are able to help please?
We have recently got two new kittens (Abyssinian) - same age but from different breeders, both were fully vaccinated and one I know has been wormed for sure. We have had then for 10 days now but noticed the last couple of days that they both seem to have diarrea, took them to the vets over the weekend for a kitten check up and mentioned the diarrea. Our vet has prescribed a 3 day course of Panacur (liquid) for both which I understand should resolve the diarrea and also acts as a wormer. Started on this today and one of them has already been sick, seems they really don't like this. Is there an alternative? Secondly, one of the kittens seems to get a swollen abdomen when eating, we were going to mention this to the vet but it was fine when we were there, but as soon as he eats he swells on one side. Should I be concerned or could this be a symptom if he does indeed have worms?
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Indi and Amber. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

The best way to find out why they have diarrhea, and whether they have worms, would be to take a stool sample from each of them and have it checked under a microscope. If any worms or parasites (not all parasites are worms!) are seen, then you treat with the best medication for that parasite.

Panacur will help them if they have roundworms, or hookworms and may help if they have Giardia (a one celled parasite), but will not help with Coccidia, a common one celled parasite seen in kittens. Panacur will not resolve diarrhea, it is just for parasites.

Metronidazole and Albon will help with diarrhea. Albon will also treat Coccidia, metronidazole will treat Giardia. I often use metronidazole just to treat diarrhea.

If they are eating well, and not vomiting, that is good. The swollen abdomen you see could be from the stomach filling up, but could also be parasites. I would have a stool sample checked and find out if they actually have parasites, and then choose a medication for that particular parasite.

Let me know how they are doing and what else I can answer or help with. Rebecca

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Rebecca, do you think we should finish the 3 day course of Panacur? Both were wormed at 12 weeks so is it likely they'll have parasites? Should I wait a couple of days before collecting stool samples? Yes, they are both eating quite well and playing well, nothing aside from the diarrhea to suggest anything is wrong. I am probably more concerned about his swollen abdomen at this stage which only swells when he eats. I did wonder if perhaps there was some blockage?
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yes, I think it would be a good idea to finish the Panacur since you started it. Many kittens have roundworms and one worming may not get rid of them.

If there were a blockage, he would probably not be eating, and would be vomiting.

You can take the stool sample anytime; if they have Coccidia, the Panacur won't change that.

Let me know what other questions you have. Kindly consider rating my answer; you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. That is the only way the website knows I helped you. I hope they are better soon. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How are the kittens doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?