petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My 20 year old cat just woke up from her nap and I notice

Customer Question

My 20 year old cat just woke up from her nap and I notice that one of her eyes has changed color. It is a reddish, brown color. She doesn't seem to be in pain or has any discharge. She does have kidney disease and hyperthyroidism. Any thoughts
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you but need a bit more information in order to better assist you if you don't mind.

When you say the color of her eye has changed, are you referring to the iris? That is the normally colored part that is usually green or hazel in cats. Or are you referring to the white of her eye or the conjunctiva surround the eye?

Is there any discharge?

Are her pupils equal in size and equally reactive to light?

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the iris has changed color. It is a brownish red but the pupil is of regular size. There is no discharge. She just ate her lunch and is now getting ready for another nap. She drank and groomed. She does not seem to be in pain. Thx
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the reply.

One of the most common causes of an acute color change in the iris is what is referred to as an anterior uveitis. This is a condition in which the blood supply to the eye becomes inflammed for various reasons. It can be due to primary ocular disease or it can be due to a primary systemic disease that is having ocular effects. Often, if it is not an easily identifiable systemic disease identified, the cause is not found. It can progress to further ocular changes and can become painful and even cause vision loss if left untreated, so it shoud definitely be evaluated by a vet.

Of course it is possible that there is something else going on. Cats can develop pigment changes in the iris that can cause a color change, but that is usually a more gradual change. Also hemorrhage in the eyeball itself can occur which can lead to color change and there are various causes for that, some more serious than others, including glaucoma and retinal detachment.

Since she is an older cat, with other untreated systemic disease, I would treat this as an emergency and seek veterinary intervention today. Eye problems can progress quickly and even if she seems comfortable for now, quick action can mean the difference between retaining vision or loss of sight if she is dealing with one of the more serious ocular conditions.

Here is a link with more information in regards ***** ***** LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.