Dr. Gary, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM, Emergency Veterinarian; BS (Physiology) Michigan State Univ
15010675

My cat hasn't eat while and he's sticking s tongue out all

Customer Question

My cat hasn't eat for a while and he's sticking his tongue out all day and it's really red
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Thanks for the question.

It sounds like he may have oral ulcers. This is often due to Calicivirus in young cats. It can lead to ulcers on the tongue and gums. They appear red and inflamed. This can lead to pain and holding the tongue out. They also don't want to eat when they have these.

We will typically treat these guys with antibiotics to take care of any secondary infections. I'll also use pain meds (Metacam or Onsior) as they are uncomfortable. Lastly, and something you can do at home- I have owners make up a weak tea solution and cool it down. I then have them rinse the mouth with it. Tea has some anti-inflammatory effects and it can help with these oral ulcers more rapidly.

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions.