Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

Trying to figure out why my cat has wetness inside her ears,

Customer Question

Trying to figure out why my cat has wetness inside her ears, she shakes her head really hard and tries to scratch the inside
Category: Cat
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with cats and dogs. I'm sorry to hear that Abby has had such itchy ears. I'm here to help. There will be a delay of 5-10 minutes while I type out some thoughts for you.

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

The most common cause of wetness in the ears and itching like that is an infection inside the ear canal. Both yeast and bacteria live in the ear normally, and under certain circumstances they can overgrow, causing an increase in moisture and intense inflammation and itching. Ear mites tend to cause a very dark brown to black dry chunky sort of ear wax, while bacterial or yeast overgrowths can cause more of a watery type of discharge.

Sometimes ear infections are a fluke, other times they are caused by allergies or tumors inside the ears. If she's quite uncomfortable, I would suggest calling your vet to get their soonest appointment, as if she does have a significant infection it will take prescription medication to clear it up. You can expect your vet to get a swab of the material from her ear for microscopic examination, clean the ears, and look inside with an otoscope. This will help them tell whether there's a mass (tumor/polyp) inside the ear causing the issue or whether it's just a straight forward overgrowth.

You can gently flush her ears at home with a commercially available ear cleansing solution, although I'll caution you that if she's got a ruptured ear drum, flushing the ear could cause more problems than it will help. This is why it's important for the vet to look down in there with an otoscope before we start doing aggressive flushing. Here's a great video on flushing a kitty's ears:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5Dh3mJBzts

Please let me know what other questions I can answer for you

~Dr. Sara

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My goal is to provide you with the most complete and accurate “five star” answer. If my answer isn’t what you were expecting, it’s incomplete, or you have more questions PLEASE REPLY to let me know what information you are looking for BEFORE giving me a negative rating! If my answer has been helpful to you, please show me by giving me a favorable rating. Thank you so much :)