petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My indoor cat got out the window and this is on the 3rd

Customer Question

My indoor cat got out the window and this is on the 3rd story. She is 14 yrs old. She came back at the front door which is ground level. She is missing her flea collar and is some what graspy for air. Her meow is very rough. I'm not sure what to do being I can't afford a vet right now.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Can you look at her gums and see if they are nice an pink and if the color comes back quickly when you press on them?

Also can you look at the roof of her mouth and see if it all looks normal in appearance to you

Thanks and I will respond further after you reply. There may be a slight delay while I formulate and type a thorough response or I may be offline, but if so, I will respond as soon as I am able.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Her gums are light pink and the roof of her mouth looks normal. She doesnt like to be moved. She wants to hide.
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

The most common injuries that are incurred during a fall from a height include jaw fractures, hard palate fracture, forelimb fractures, hindlimb fractures, ruptured diaphragms, ruptured bladders or lung bruising or a pneumothorax (free air in the chest). Her not wanting to be moved may be a sign of any of those. Unfortunately, without the aid of an xray, it will be difficult to verify if any of these are occurring.

If you are unable to take her to the vet for an exam, really all you can do is to monitor her for now. If her breathing worsens or she seems in respiratory distress, you will really need to find a way to have her evaluated by a vet. Also you will need to monitor her bathroom habits to see if she is passing urine which will help to verify that her bladder is intact. Unfortunately, cats can have a diaphragmatic hernia or a fractured long bone and not show any other signs of a problem other than hiding or pain.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Mindee Jones. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.