Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My husband died in September, after a illness and our cat

Customer Question

My husband died in September, after a long illness and our cat has changed. The day before his death I took her to the hospice to visit with her dad, and she was fine, but the day of his passing she started shaking and than went six days without eating,
She had been a very independent cat, but has become very clingy with me, which is fine when I am home, but I am forced to do some traveling now. We were in Las Vegas because of his job, and now I have to decided where we are going to move too. My question is, what will be best for her, take her with me, or leave her along for ten days with someone coming in to feed her on a daily basis. She was a rescue cat when we adopted her at 8 months, and now at five she hates being boarded at our Vet's.
Cat's do not like change, and I have no choice, so which is best for her, leaving her at home alone or taking her on a plane and going into a environment with lot's of people, other anilmals and activity.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so very sorry about your husband. I send my deepest sympathy for your loss.

Sheba sounds like a very sensitive girl. She was grieving for her dad similar to how humans react when they lose someone.

You are correct that cats HATE change, however, they can tolerate it as long as the human they love and trust is nearby.

If Sheba knows the sitter and feels comfortable with her/him she can tolerate a ten day separation. If the sitter is a total stranger it will be difficult for her to accept that person. In that case it would be better to take her with you.

If you will be moving there eventually she will have to adjust to a new house. But as long as YOU are there and you bring things with her scent on them she will acclimate just fine. When I move with my cats, I use a small paint roller (the size they use to paint trim). I roll it on her paws and neck where there are scent glands. Then I rub it on window sills, furniture and new things around the house to transfer her scent onto things. When she can smell herself on items she feels safe and at home.

If you choose to leave her at home with a sitter have that person come over a few times while you are still home so Sheba gets used to that person feeding her.

Please let me know what you decide as either way will work.

Just reply here or if you prefer we an speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri