Rebecca, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Veterinarian for more than 30 years
11877925

Ya...just checking to see what, if any, new treatments are

Customer Question

Hiya...just checking to see what, if any, new treatments are available for a cat with chronic pseudomonas aeruginosa. Also want to find out if phage therapy would be appropriate as we've run out of options as far as antibiotics go.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Cookie. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Where on her body is the infection: skin, ears?

This is an information request to help me answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
As already stated Cookie is a male. The infection is in his sinuses. He's had it all his life. He came from a cattery with over 40 other cats, although we did not know that at the time of acquiring him. He sneezes constantly, discharging vile green snot in big lumps. It tends to set like concrete and is near impossible to remove from furniture, clothing etc. Cookie eats and sleeps well, hunts birds and rodents on our farm and is of a loving disposition. I just need to know if there are any NEW developments in the treatment of this nasty bug. Will Phase therapy be of benefit to Cookie? Thank you in advance, Lorayne.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forgot to add that Cookie is 6 yrs old, neutered and fully vaccinated.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My apologies...I did not state in my first email that Cookie is a male. Again, my apologies.
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you did indeed state Cookie is a male. My bad! Cookie just sounded like a girl name to me, but my first cat (a female) was named Harvey.

I did some research on VIN, veterinarian information network, a website of veterinary specialists, about phage therapy in cats. I found some promising new research being done with people and resistant infections, but the only references I could find for cats was still in the experimental phases, or for using using Staph Phage Lysate (SPL) therapy as an immune stimulant.

Was a culture done, is that how it was determined this is Pseudomonas aeruginosa? If so, did you get a sensitivity report of the antibiotics that his particular Pseudomonas is sensitive and resistant to? I have read about using Tris EDTA nose drops, along with nose drops of the appropriate antibiotic. The Tris EDTA helps break down the "biofilm" in the nose protecting the bacteria, so the antibiotic can get to it.

Using Gentacin eye drops, as nose drops, has helped some cats with Pseudomonas nasal infections.

Using Zithromax for months helps some of these cats.

More research: amitriptyline (an antihistamine and anti anxiety medication) helps with chronic nasal infections; like the Tris EDTA and eye drops, it helps the antibiotics to work better and get to the bacteria better.

Let me know what other questions you have about HIM (so sorry). Rebecca