Dr. Gabby
Dr. Gabby, Veterinarian
Experience:  19 years in Companion Animal Practice and SPCA
2263760

My male cat is 3 yrs old and last year had some crystals in

Customer Question

My male cat is 3 yrs old and last year had some crystals in his urinary tract. He went to the vet and was taken care of... tha k goodness. He is now moaning and clearly in pain as he is avoiding me. Im wondering if i ahould get some pumpkin to mix in his food to help possible crystals out of his tract
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.

Hi there. This is Dr. Gabby. So pumpkin can help with constipation but it will do nothing for the urinary tract.

I have a feeling that if he is moaning, he may either have a urinary tract infection or a urinary tract blockage. Make sure he is able to pass urine. Even a few drops counts. If he is not able to pass any urine then his urinary tract is blocked and that is an emergency.

To dissolve crystals first the type of crystals need to be identified. There are a few kinds and the treatment is different for each. Hopefully the vet checked a urine sample and can tell you what kind of crystals he has. Then he will need to be put on a special food that changes the ph of the urine and prevents the crystals from forming. Increasing his fluid intake can help too. You can add water or broth to his food. Feeding canned food can help too because it is higher in moisture. But he will need to be on a prescription food, based on the type of crystals he has, to dissolve the crystals and help keep them from coming back.

Does that help? Do you have any additional questions?

Expert:  Dr. Gabby replied 1 year ago.
Hi Julie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Jeter. How is everything going?
Dr. Gabby