Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a aproximately 9 month old male black and grey tiger

Customer Question

I have a aproximately 9 month old male black and grey tiger looking cat that was dumped in my yard last year shortly before he should have been seperated from mom. Everything has gone well, til now, he considers me his mom , I had the marching band over last nite for an end of season party. About 32 people total. We also have chickens and 5 dogs. 2 teenagers, and a husband. Cat (yes thats his name) acts more like a dog than a cat. He plays with my youngest dog which acts like a cat. This morning Cat was fine. about an hour my husband brought cat to me and said we had a problem. he looks kinda like he is buzzed in the eyes, but walks like he has no equalibrium. what could this be? Oh and there is no alcohol in the house. so I ruled that out.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi Renee, and welcome!

I'm sorry Cat isn't looking/acting like himself.

From your description, it's possible that he has a neurological disorder called Vestibular Syndrome. The vestibular system is inside the ears and an ear infection, ear mites or debris in the ear can be a cause of this. Here is more information:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/fhc/Health_Information/vestibularsyndrome.cfm

While it's possible that there IS a foreign object in his ear, like a bug or spider that crawled in there, it's also possible that he may have ingested something he shouldn't have and is causing his symptoms. I'm glad there's no alcohol in your home, but since you had so many people over at your party last night, it's possible that a guest fed him something he shouldn't have had, he could have ingested a human medication that fell on the floor, nibbled on a houseplant or flowers, if you have any, or perhaps there was something else accessible to him. These are just suggestions of what might possibly be causing his symptoms, as I am trying to be as helpful as possible to your Cat.

It would be advisable to have him evaluated by a vet as soon as possible, to get a definite diagnosis and treatment, so if your regular vet doesn't have emergency hours, taking him to a nearby ER vet center would be your best next step.

Continue to monitor him, keeping him in a quiet area--the room can be dimly lit, not completely dark--and don't let him jump up on anything or walk by himself, since he's dizzy and can't walk straight, until you can get him to the vet, which hopefully, will be soon.

I hope all will be well with Cat and please let me know how he's coming along and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hi again, Renee.

I'm just checking in with you to see how your furry boy is doing today and if you were able to have him seen by a vet for diagnosis and treatment (if necessary).

Please let me know, as I'm concerned for him and also, please let me know if you found the information in my answer helpful. Thanks so much.

I hope he's much improved!

I'll be awaiting your reply.

Warmest regards,

Cher