petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

My cat foams at the mouth all of the time and I hear m

Customer Question

My cat foams at the mouth all of the time and I hear him throwing up often. I have been told it is acid reflux. WHat is the best type of medication I can get for him?
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thanks for trusting me to help you and your cat today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years experience and would be happy work with you.

Pepcid is a very effective antacid, but if it is not working to decrease his symptoms, it may be that there is more that gastric acid reflux going on. Inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) is a very common cause of GI upset in cats ranging from nausea to vomiting to anorexia and can present very intermittently. It may be that he needs more than pepcid to manage his disease and I would talk to your vet about possibly changing his diet or adding other GI medications like cerenia or metronidazole. Ultimately, some of these cats need steroids to manage their disease, but many can be managed by other means for quite awhile before the disease progresses.

Here is a link with more information about IBD in cats. LINK HERE

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your response. I am sure if I was able to give him the pepcid on a regular basis I would see an improvement, but he hides from me and it is difficult to give it to him on a regular basis. I will try that first and look over the link that you provided for me.Thank you again!
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You are most welcome. Yes, try that first and let's see how things go. I can follow up at any time if there are further questions.