petdrz
petdrz, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Over 30 years of experience in caring for dogs and cats.
21300550

Our beautiful cat Phoebe suffered a severe injury to her

Customer Question

Hi, our beautiful cat Phoebe suffered a severe injury to her tail last night (we don't know how) with a deep laceration in 2places. Today the vet amputated it as far as possible leaving a stub of around 3inches which she is wagging around! We are now desperately waiting to see if she has any bowel or bladder incontinence as we have been warned it is common. She has done a tiny pee and tiny poo in her litter tray once since she got back from her op at 3pm today but that has been all and we noticed another tiny piece of poo on the stairs where she had been laying- perhaps it had been caught under her stub..or maybe it's a sign of incontinence? She is eating, drinking, jumping and purring. What sort of time frame is realistic to judge if she has been damaged internally? The vet said 24 hours but we feel this is far too short as she has had anaesthetic and is on pain relief and antibiotics, all of which might effect her bowel/bladder habits? Please help.
Category: Cat
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have been waiting for a response. I recently just logged onto the site and noted that your question hasn't yet been answered. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 25 years’ experience and would be happy to work with you if you are still needing assistance.

I am not sure if you are worried about damage from the injury or damage from the surgery or either. If we were worried about damage and subsequent incontinence from the initial injury, 24 hours would be more appropriate, and the further we get out from that time of the injury, the less likely that will show up. You are correct however that the effect of the surgery (post op inflammation, anesthesia wearing off, etc) and the effect of the pain meds may make it difficult to fully interpret any abnormalities for at least the next couple of days. As you get further out from the time of the surgery, there should be less chance of these things interfering with your interpretation.

I hope this is helpful. Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please reply so I can clarify for you.

Dr Z

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, thank you for responding. I haven't received any others. Our main concern is they she may be left incontinent due to the damage that we potentially can't see. If that is the case then the vet said we will have to put her to sleep...she is so healthy other than this accident and so loving, we can't bear the thought of loosing her . We just wondered what the positive/negative signs to look out for at this early stage and also what timeframe we should allow for any changes. Thank you again for responding. Joanne
Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome and I understand your concern. At this time, really all you can monitor are her elimination habits over the next few days to see if any degree of incontinence develops over the next few days. If none, the odds of it occurring after that are lessened. I hope she has a complete recovery.

Expert:  petdrz replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Z.