Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Cat died. found in litter box. foam in mouth. no sign of

Customer Question

cat died. found in litter box. foam in mouth. no sign of trauma. 1 year old. has a companion brother cat. new older nice introduced 2 weeks ago. no poison in house.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so very sorry for your loss. It's heartbreaking to lose a pet.

Can you please give me more information?

Was he outside at all?

Had he been eating and eliminating normally?

Any sneezing, vomiting, pale gums or symptoms of illness?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thank you,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Totally an indoor cat. No evidence of anything wrong. However, was sickly when they got him from the humane society.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply.

Sickly in what way when you got him?

How long did you have him?

Was he eating the past few days?

Since I cannot see him I need your help to figure out what was wrong with him

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
don't remember why but humane society gave us medicine and he got better, but had to hand feed him for awhile. He appeared to be eating. My daughter-in-law has 3 children and 3 guinea pigs and 2 other cats. Did not notice that he wasn't eating. Could he have swalloed a foreign object? Any gas poinsoning possible, like from furnace ot carbon monoxide?
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I an rule out CO2 poisoning because everyone else exposed would also be ill.

Yes, of course he may have swallowed a non food or toxic item. Things that are fine for us can kill a cat like Tylenol. chocolate, grapes, raisins, onions. Furnace oil or antifreeze can also poison him.

There is also the possibility he had an illness when you got him that was misdiagnosed or not treated properly.

He may have had a genetic abnoormality.

The only way you would know for sure is with a necropsy.

As long as the other pets are eating well and eliminating normally and have no symptoms of illness, this is not contagious.

I would suspect whatever he had when you got him made him ill and was never fully resolved.

Once again, I am so very sorry for your loss. Your children must be very upset as well.

Please let me know if you wish to discuss this further and I will be here for you.

Love,

Terr