Joan
Joan, Vet Tech
Experience:  Vet Tech 35+ years working w/Cats
5071285

My 3 month old kitten has a temp of 105.8

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

• My name is ***** ***** I have been a Vet tech for 30+ years with interest in Feline health. You need to get the temperature down in the kitten. Please take a cool not cold towel with water and place on the abdomen and groin. Place one around the neck and take some Alcohol and clean the Pads of the feet with it. We ned to get the Temperature down to no more than 102.5. Right now the kitten is in the Danger zone of having seizures fro the high Temp. I suggest getting the kitten into a Vet where medication can be given to keep the temperature down and some fluids given to help the kitten keep from dehydrating. If you cannot get the fever under control you could loose the kitten.
  • Joan
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

If I have addressed your concerns, Please take a moment to Rate my Service 5 Stars. I will check back in on the kitten later. Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Hi have you rechecked the temperature? Has it come down with the cool compresses and the alcohol on the feet? If it is not coming down, please get into the Vet and let me know what is happening.

Joan

Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

How is the Kitten doing today? I wanted to check in with you.

Joan

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
A little better. Been giving her pain meds, oil of oregano, azithromycin in a syringe. Between doses a combination of yogurt, olive oil and water in a syringe, rub coconut butter on her paws for her to lick off
She is cooler, drinks a little and eats a bit. Mostly sleeps, but more arousable, and even complains a little about whatever it is cats like to complain about.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

Glad she is doing a little better. I would be giving her Pedialyte mixed with water for fluids and stay away from the oil. The oil can cause Pancreatitis among other issues. You can also feed a wet cat food to insure she is getting fluids. The key is to keep the temp down.

If I have addressed your concerns Please take a moment to Rate my Service 5 Stars.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She had a big poop lots of hair, so glad I used the oil. She is still tired, sleeping a lot, but eating, drinking, complaining.
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

We suggest instead of the oil which can be aspirated into the lungs to use Cat Lax which is liver flavored and put a strip on the paw and allow the cat to lick it off. Oil can also cause Pancreatitis. It is much safer and healthier for the Kitten to use Cat lax which is sold at the Pet shops.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mind you it was 1cc of oil, 4cc was very watery yogurt
Expert:  Joan replied 1 year ago.

I am just suggesting the best way to treat the problem and the safest way for the health of your kitten. Does not matter how much oil or liquids, the chance of aspiration is there and if I did not advise you pf this I would be not doing my job.

Joan