Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

8 month old male Bengal. Always full of life and extremely

Customer Question

8 month old male Bengal. Always full of life and extremely talkative. He was brought to vet for nutering. 2-3 days after the nuter he was back to his old wild man self... Then he got lathargic, won't eat or drink with diarrhea. Bright red droplets of blood found in stool. I brought him to the vet, A slight heart murmur was heard... But Dr. said shouldn't be attributing to his symptoms. He had a clean full body X-ray and givin a full blood work up that also came back clean. He was sent home with a anti- nausea/pain med. One day passed with no change and anytime I'd offer food of any kind he would have a full body gage reflex to the smell. He was brought back to vet, examined again with no diagnosis of what could be wrong. He was sent home with an gastro antibiotic and an appetite stimulator. He ate a few nibbles of food last night and seemed to have a little bit more life in him ... For only about an hour. He's back to sitting in the meatloaf passion looking defeated, still lathargic and will not eat or drink.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am so sorry Frodo is not feeling well.

Do you know if they cleaned his ears while he was under anesthesia?

What foods does he usually eat?

What and when did he eat last?

Is he nervous or calm generally?

What color are his gums?

Does he have a normal temp (100 - 102.5)?

Indoor kitty?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer.

Thank you,

Terri

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Frodo is just awesome, fun and full of life little rascal. People laugh when I tell them he acts like more of dog than a cat. He follows me everywhere. We have a routine together and wakes me up the same time every morning for his food and is playful all day.He wouldn't eat, drink or vocalize (He talks all day) and slept the entire day (which is NOT like him) Frodo was taken to the vet on Thursday and given fluids on both vet visits. Two different doctors at the same hospital looked him over. They said he's temp, ears and nose are good. Frodo normally eats Royal Canin. When I brought him back home from his first visit on Thursday, he was able to get down a little bit of chicken flavored baby food (He wouldn't touch his normal food). He wouldn't eat again on Thursday and when I tried to offer him a little more of that baby food a few hours later, he had a full body gag reflex and just sits uncomfortably in the meatloaf position. There was no change the next day (Friday) and the vets again could not find anything wrong. Temp is perfect, no lumps etc. The vet said he obviously is not feeling well seems to have slight discomfort and asked me if he ate anything he shouldn't have. I can't account for every second but Frodo doesn't chew on anything and I can't find anything in plain view he might of ingested. Frodo has been an indoor cat, up until last month. Frodo would go outside with me and play in the yard and come back in. That wasn't often and he would come inside when I did. The vet instructed me to get him a few different brands of food and some that have a high fat content and the smeller the food the better because thats what cats tend to go for when they don't fell well. I bought him at least 5 different kinds from Petco all different textures and some broths. He would either walk away from it or have a full body gag reflex after smelling it. Finally about 2am this morning, I drove to the gas station and bought some Hard Friskies food and he actually ate a few. A few times yesterday, I'd see little signs of life and he would be playful but then he'd go back in his spot looking absolutely defeated and lethargic. I offered him some more of those Friskies again but now he won't eat them. His gums are normal color.
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your very helpful reply. I am so sorry Frodo is not feeling well.

It is possible he has a vestibular issue. That is similar to our motion sickness and causes nausea.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_vestibular_disease.html

It is also possible his throat is sore due to the trach tube.

Give him 2 drops of honey by dropper every 4 - 6 hours to sooth his throat.

If his gums are pale he could have some bleeding from the surgery.

Sitting in the meat loaf position is an indication of pain or nausea.

Add one quarter of a ten mg pepcid A/C (famotidine) to a tablespoon or baby food.

Wait 20 minutes after he takes it to offer more food.

Make sure there is no onion or garlic in the baby food.

Warm the food to bring out the aroma.

Get a can of people tuna in water. Drain the water into a bowl and see if he will lap it up for hydration. If he does offer the tuna.

If he has pale gums or you see blood in urine or stool I would have him seen by a totally different clinic than the one that did the surgery.

Please let me know how Frodo is doing and if he eats. Reply here or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your baby.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dani,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Frodo. How is everything going?
Terri