Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Discharge coming from my male cat. He had UTI in the past

Customer Question

Discharge coming from my male cat. He had UTI in the past and that was a horrible nightmare for both of us. We frequently give him wet food and on a daily basis we give him blue Buffaloe. I don't like blue Buffaloe but he is so picky. We've tried other brands and he doesn't like them. Funny thing is, he loves really bad cheap cat food though. Anyway, a couple weeks ago, he was throwing up, he threw up a couple hair balls (this is the first time I've ever seen him throw up hair balls, he's 6) and he had discharge oozing out all the time. Not a lot, but he was doing it wherever he went. He couldn't help it. It's clear/yellowish maybe. I can't tell if there is blood in it. We added a cat door (backyard is totally secure he can't get out) and he loves pooping and peeing out there. He does it often but I noticed that the few times he is sick, he poops and pees very little. I'm hoping that since he goes outside more often, and is brining in (sadly) dead animals like garden snakes, he must have eaten something that doesn't agree with his body? That's what I'm really hoping the case is because anything other than that must be a serious medical issue
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm so sorry Mowgli is experiencing these problems.

Is the discharge from his anus or his penis?

Since he's had a bad time with a UTI in the past, if you see a whitish/yellow discharge from his penis, he could have another UTI or even a urethral blockage, which is a medical emergency in male cats. If you can't keep track of his elimination because he basically goes outside, this is a problem. I assume he used the litterbox enough, inside the house, for you to see the discharge. Here is more information on urinary problems in cats:

http://www.vet.cornell.edu/FHC/health_information/UrinaryConcerns.cfm

If the discharge is from his anus, he could have an intestinal infection, intestinal parasites or an anal glad problem. The fluid inside the anal glands (located on either side of the anus, under the skin) may be impacted or infected. The fluid may need to be expressed (emptied) by the vet. Here is more detailed information:

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm?c=1+2122&aid=509

It's very possible that he may have either ingested or tangled with another 'critter' outside, and this is causing his problem. He may have been bitten or stung by a venomous insect, snake or spider, or, as you suspect, he could have eaten all or part of one of his 'catches.'

Blue Buffalo is a good food, and I'm not surprised that you said he prefers the cheap supermarket food.......most cats, do! lol That's because they fill it with artificial and inferior ingredients that taste good, but are not good for them.

At this time, from your description of the situation, it's important that Mowgli is evaluated in person by a vet, as soon as possible, so you can get a definite diagnosis and treatment.

I hope all will be well with your furry boy; he sounds like a darling!

Please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher