Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

My name is ***** *****. I have an 8 year old rescued

Customer Question

Customer: My name is ***** *****. I have an 8 year old rescued Siamese,.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have had her for 2 years. 3 months ago, I noticed that a discharge from her eyes was forming a dark brown crustiness on the outside of her lower lids (both). I have taken her to my vet twice in the last month and he has given her steroid injections, which have not made any difference to the discharge. My vet seems more concerned with the fact that she plucks her coat out, but I understand from the rescue centre that she has always done this and it is undoubtedly caused by having been bullied by other cats and human beings! She is not sneezing or coughing but the eyes look extremely sad. Any ideas?
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Cat Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I can wait. I am typing from the U.K. Will that cause a problem?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Bless you for rescuing!

You saved her from a life of being bullied!

First let me discuss her eyes. Apply cool, damp teabags several times a day. The tanic acid in the tea will sooth and lower the PH of her tears.

Pulling out fur is an OCD disorder called psychogenic alopecia. It is caused by stress and is similar to a child biting her nails.

Now that she has an awesome home (thanks to YOU!) and is away from the bullies, that should stop in time.

You can get a feliway plug-in to calm her and put rescue remedy in her water.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=8906

http://www.rescueremedy.com/products/

If she eats dry food, switching to canned may help:

www.catinfo.org

If she eats poultry try a different protein source in case of allergies.

Please let me know how things are going. I will always be here for you.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri