Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

Black cat with silky fur losighairr in the past 1 month

Customer Question

Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

I'm sorry to hear that Tommy has been experiencing hair loss within the past month. Is this all over, or concentrated in 1 or more particular areas on his body?

Do you notice him licking, chewing or scratching more than usual, in the areas of hair loss or any areas?

What food did you change him to and how long ago?

Does he have any medical conditions you're aware of?

Does he spend any time outdoors?

Do you notice if his skin in the areas of the hair loss is smooth and healthy looking or is it red, scaly, and/or have any sores?

Thanks for all your additional information and after you reply, please allow me some time to go through it and then compose and send your detailed answer.

Warmest regards,

Cher

Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello again.

I was hoping to hear back from you with some additional information about Tommy, but I can answer your question now and if you need any additional information, just click 'Reply.'

There can be various causes for a cat to lose his hair. If the hair loss is concentrated in small areas, where the skin is red and scaly, this could be a fungal infection called ringworm. If this is the case, it is very contagious to other cats and humans. Here is more information about ringworm:

http://www.cat-world.com.au/ringworm-in-cats

Some other causes of hair loss may be external parasites like fleas and mites, which cause itching, food or environmental allergies, underlying medical conditions (especially in a 'senior' cat like Tommy) like diabetes and hyperthyroidism, and psychogenic alopecia, where a cat will lick excessively or pull out fur on his own. If a cat is in pain, he may also lick excessively at the site of the pain, whether external or internal. Here is more detailed information about hair loss in cats:

http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/hair_loss_in_cats.html

Sometimes, dry skin, due to a nutritional deficiency can also cause dry skin and fur causing hair loss and a supplement like Omega 3 might help. You can offer oil from canned tuna, salmon or sardines, or buy Alaskan Salmon Oil at your pet supply store and add it to his food.

The only way to know for sure what is causing the hair loss is to have Tommy evaluated in person by his vet for a definite diagnosis and treatment, if needed. The vet might even take a skin scraping (painless) to analyze some skin cells under the microscope to provide more diagnostic tools.

I hope all will be well with Tommy and please let me know how he's doing and what the vet tells you. Thanks!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback; that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed, and I will be happy to continue.

Warmest regards,

Cher