Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

I'm looking after my neighbours cat. He seems quite sick and

Customer Question

hi
I'm looking after my neighbours cat. He seems quite sick and has what appears to be lockjaw. I put some food down tonight but he couldn't eat and he kept banging his paw against his face. His legs keep collapsing. he has got a tumour in his stomach. he is 22 years old. I have lwft him on his blanket. the owners are in somerset and we live in cornwall. I don't know what to do for the best. It is a grotty wet night I don't want to worry the owners and it would be a 4 hour journey home. He is still purring bless him. Should I just leave him and hope nature takes its course call the vet urgently or leave him until his neighbours get home. I think it was time this week to say goodbye anyway. he doesn't seem in any pain. He did manage to take some food from me but bit my finger a bit.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry Smokey is so poorly. He is a very old boy. He must have gotten remarkable care to reach age 22. That is awesome!

The issue with his mouth is due to gingivitis or abscessed teeth.

It would be best if you could bring him to a vet. He will get an antibiotic and subq fluids which will keep him comfortable until his owners get home. Then they can decide if it is time to make a decision.

I would not call and worry them now because it could be dangerous for them to try and rush home in bad weather.

Please let me know how things go.

Bless you for taking such great care of him.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitties.

Love,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.
Hi Teresa,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Smokey. How is everything going?
Terri