Terri
Terri, Feline Healthcare Expert
Experience:  Expert in feline health and behavior. 20 years experience with cats.
437368

Terri, I am in a difficult situation. Due to many stays in

Customer Question

Terri, I am in a difficult situation. Due to many stays in the hospital myself this past year and being on disability I cannot afford a visit to the vet. I was given this kitten a couple of months ago and it seems that he is having a real terrible time trying to deficate. And when he does it is so flat and hard and then there are spots of wet where he was trying to make it to the box in time. He stands on the side of the box and clenches as he tries to go. I feel so bad for him but don't know what to do. His anal opening seems to become real red like bloody and the size of a dime and then he hurts when trying. I have tried to pick him up and to help him but he cries if I do.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for requesting me.

I am so sorry you are not well. It was very kind of you to help a kitten.

Bless you for saving Bootsy!

Can you please tell me more about him?

How old is he exactly?

Is he neutered?

What foods is he eating?

After your reply please give me a few minutes to type detailed answer or if you prefer we can speak on the phone.

Thanks,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for requesting me.

Bless you for saving Bootsy!

Can you please tell me more about him?

How old is he exactly?

Is he neutered?

What foods is he eating?

Thanks,

Terri

Expert:  Terri replied 1 year ago.

Hi Kathy,

I was hoping to hear back from you so we could talk about Bootsy.

I have some suggestions that may help him.

He may get constipated so lets pick up all dry food and feed him canned only.

That will keep him well hydrated. I would also give him one inch of cat lax lie laxatone or petromalt every day. That will make his stools softer and easier to pass.

If it is still hard he can have an ounce or whole milk every day.

You can apply a dab of raw honey to his anus any time it is sore.

Please let me know if this helps him pass his stools easier.

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed and I will always be here for you and your kitty.

Love,

Terri