Candy R.
Candy R., Veterinary Technician
Experience:  Practicing Veterinary Technician for 26 years.Former Veterinary Practice Owner, Technician Trainer
23185754

Our cat is having episodes of head twitching and eye

Customer Question

Our cat is having episodes of head twitching and eye movement like a seizure. her back legs are weak and give out arfter
Category: Cat
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. I am sorry to hear that Baily is not feeling well. My name is ***** ***** I have been a veterinary nurse for 26 years. I would be happy to help I just have a few questions.

Any chance she got in to anything toxic including medications,plants or rat poison?

Does she go outside unattended?

Have you recently applied any flea prevention if so what brand?

Any previous medical history?

Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Any tilting of the head?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
we brought home a new can of food yesterday. No one seemed to like it. this morning LOTS of throw up. shes had issues drinking water and peeing in the past. not really outdoor we just go out on the balcony every now and then. shes eating hard food by the chunks and i have to force her to drink with my finger
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
shes dazed and confused from what i can see now and she wants to hide. tail is very upset too. her walking isnt spot on either.
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Any chance she ingested a toxin or have you recently applied any flea prevention to her or any dogs in the house?

Is her head tilted to the side at all?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
dont think so with the poison. head is on right. gets confused every now and then. havnt applied for fleas no
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
had to put her in the washroom with food and water for the time being. I had her drink 2 ounces of water or so
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hello?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for the additional information.

If she just had some mild vomiting I would say it could be due to the food change, however the head twitching, odd eye movement and weakness are all signs more associated with ingesting a toxin of some sort. This could be medication, household chemicals or even some house plants.

It is also possible that she is in fact having or has had a seizure. Seizures can be due to many things the most common being

* Ingestion of a toxin

* Flea prevention

* Problems with the liver and or kidneys

* Hyperthyroidism

* Diabetes.

If this is a seizure we would expect to see her improve over the next few hours, however it would still warrant having a vet exam for some blood work to look for cause of the seizure or any signs of a toxin. I would suggest having her seen by a vet today if possible if you see no improvement in the next 2 hours or she declines in any way. IN some cases with seizure we may see an animal have one and then they never have another.

I would be happy to continue in this format however the Board of veterinary medicine in my state prevents me from taking phone calls unless I have seen your pet. Please let me know if you would like me to opt out and perhaps someone else could help you with a phone call.

Candy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will take her to a vet, they arnt open yet but I think maybe considering her past vet examinations, shes sligtly overweight, had issues peeing as well and yesterday we just bought a new can of food home (liver) and I literarly cleaned up a stomachfull this morning. I also see a good amount of saliva on the floor from throwing up. Shes still dazed and looking all over the place.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is there any harm in getting her to drink more water in the mean time?
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

I would not force her to drink but as long as she is willing to lick it off your finger that is fine. If she is in fact having a seizure we do not want to force water as this could cause her to aspirate. Keeping her in a dimly lite area where she can not get hurt would be fine until you can get her in to the vet. Please touch base with me after the vet and let me know what they said

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ok ive done so, ill go get ready to take care in the meantime. thanks
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome. Give her a good head pet from me and tell her I hope she feels better soon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
just discovered somthing. shes eating wet food if i put it on her paw
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
not dizzy anymore
Expert:  Candy R. replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Sorry I had to run out real quick to take my little one to school. How is she doing now? Is she still off balance and disoriented?