nekovet
nekovet, Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian. I am happy to answer any questions you may have on any species.
60269376

Lori, I have a 7 year old siamese mix cat (female) who has

Customer Question

Hi Lori, I have a 7 year old siamese mix cat (female) who has been having multiple issues. For the last 8 months, she has been licking away at very specific areas on her body (her stomach, fur by her anus, and various spots on her upper body). Recently, she got so bad that her ears became very inflamed and red. She is a light colored cat and when her skin turns pink, you can really tell. Her ears were swollen and very red. Under her chin was very pink as well. She saw the vet who gave her a steroid injection (thinking she has allergies), antibiotic and some drops for her ears. For two weeks, I administer the meds as directed. Everything cleared up and she stopped licking. and all the redness went away, etc. Then, all of a sudden, over the last 30 hours, she has been vomiting and not able to keep food down. She went back to the vet who gave another med to help settle her stomach along with another injection to do the same. They ran blood work and I got the results today.
Category: Cat
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The blood work revealed that she had elevated Lipaise (sp?) levels.....off the charts in fact. The high in the range was 529 for the lab, but she is at 5,600! Her RBC is slightly elevated. Her liver enzymes are high as well, but whenever they run bw on her, it always comes back high but it's not been investigated. Her AST is at 428, the norm per the lab is 100 from what I'm being told. She ate most of a can of tuna when I got home from work and so far, has kept it down. But she's not 100% herself still. The vet wants to do an ultrasound to look for tumors, etc. I want to know what tests would be better than others to try and figure this out. I don't know if the licking all along is related to what we're seeing in her blood work or if I should be looking in another direction with this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
To further be clear on test results.....Lipaise are at 5,600, RBC is elevated slightly, Liver enzymes are high, AST (liver function) is 428. Spent the last 30 hours not keeping food down. Ate most of a can of tuna tonight. She is on meds to help settle her stomach, that is being given orally.
Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am afraid that the expert you have requested is not currently available. Still I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, I share your concern about Zoey.

In regards ***** ***** I do think that the state of her liver does need to be assessed. I would note that an ultrasound is a good, non-invasive tool to assess the state of the liver. It would let your vet check for masses but also for signs of enlargement or diffuse liver changes and gall bladder/bile duct health.

Furthermore, if that was a general lipase level that was that high, then you may want to have your vet add a feline pancreatic liapse analysis to her recent bloods (often if we request these so shortly after the lab analyzes her blood we won't need a second blood sample). This will confirm if we have a pancreatitis (which is my concern based on her signs, history, and this blood result). In regards ***** ***** the ultrasound can be helpful here too, as they can check the pancreas (and all the abdominal organs) at the same time they are looking at the liver. And I do think it is a valuable tool here for Zoey's case since we'd want to know if her liver was compressing her pancreas and thus causing this other issue.

Finally, in regards ***** ***** I am glad that you do have her on anti-nausea medication. Still, I would just note that if she has pancreatitis, this can be painful. Therefore, if she has any tensing, tenderness, or is reluctant to let you press on her belly just behind her rib cage, then we'd want to speak to her vet about pain relief (ie Bupenorphine) for her. Otherwise, these plus a light diet (+/- IV fluids if the vomiting is severe, antibiotics if infection is suspect) tend to be mainstay of supporting pancreatitis cats.

Overall, it does sound like you are on the right track since we absolutely need to know what is damaging the liver to cause those blood elevations you are seeing. And the ultrasound will be an ideal next step. It will let you see what is going on with that liver but also let you have a peek at the pancreas to determine if there is an issue here or if her signs are secondary to the liver compressing that delicate organ.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  nekovet replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Zoey. How is everything going?
nekovet