Cher
Cher, Feline Specialist
Experience:  Feline Healthcare & Behavior Specialist 40+ years Experience
1470369

I have a one year old male cat he doesn't ss or on anything

Customer Question

I have a one year old male cat he doesn't hiss or piss on anything he's cool and mellow.He is a sacred bermim cat my question is should I castrate him
Category: Cat
Expert:  Cher replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome!

My name is ***** ***** it will be my pleasure to answer your question. Birmans are one of my most favorites breeds! : )

Your handsome, furry boy sounds like a darling and I'm so glad he's mellow and does not urinate on anything or spray to mark territory. However, it is healthier for him if you were to have him neutered. Neutered males do not risk developing testicular cancer and do not want to roam, seeking a mate. According to statistics, male cats that are neutered tend to live longer than those that are not neutered.

At one year old, it's possible that your cat has not yet reached sexual maturity, and it is desirable to neuter a male before he reaches sexual maturity. Birmans typically reach full maturity (in general) at 3 years of age. However, most male cats typically become sexually mature at about age 6 months.

If your cat is a pure-bred, pedigreed Birman, with legitimate 'papers' showing his parentage 'line,' the only reason not to neuter him, would be if you were interested in breeding him with a female, pure-bred, pedigreed Birman and selling the kittens (or keeping them, depending on your preference). If this is not the case, neutering him would definitely be in his best interest, health-wise.

I hope this helped!

Please be so kind as to rate my answer with positive feedback, as that is the only way I receive recognition from the site for my assistance. Thank you very much!

Providing a positive rating will not end our conversation, should you need me for any follow-up. Simply click 'Reply' for clarification or additional information, if needed.

Warmest regards,
Cher