Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Cat Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

Terri. Our 6 months old new male tuxedo kitten (incredibly

Customer Question

Hi, Terri. Our 6 months old new male gray tuxedo kitten (incredibly handsome!)had yellow discharge from one eye. We took him to the vet, who said that he was teething with both molars and canines, but also had a sinus infection. We treated him for 10-11 days with 0.75 mg of Clavamax (amoxycillin) twice a day, and his eye stopped oozing. However, now two days after stopping the treatment, he again has a slight yellow discharge from one eye. We are worried, but we also are exhausted from vet visits ( = broke) that have included all the basic shots, as well as treatment for three different intestinal parasites. Do we have to take him back to the vet again? I know that sinus infections usually do not clear up on their own, but we are getting worn out.
Category: Cat
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue.

Is it the same eye? Can you attach a photo?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay. Actually, no, it is not the same eye. It was the left eye with yellow discharge about 1.5 weeks ago, but now it is the right eye. There isn't much discharge, but I find it worrisome. Yes, I can attach a macro photo tomorrow, but tonight, Ta'avi is now asleep!
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

OK. It is possible that this is not a sinus infection, and is more of an injury to the eye (corneal ulcers are common in young cats). I recommend buying some over-the-counter artificial tears eyedrops and putting them in the eye every 4 to 6 hours. Then, just in case it is an upper respiratory infection, I would take him into the bathroom twice a day and run a hot, steamy shower without the fan on for 10 minutes. I would try those things for a week, and at that point if you don't see any improvement or if the symptoms get worse, see your veterinarian.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.